Monday, December 19, 2005

Middle Sunday action

This started out fairly quietly, as I was trying to wake up from last night’s activities. Then I decided to go and watch some doubles matches before I went to see Safin beat up on Blake, which was the last match on the Vodafone arena. First of all I went to see Sa/Saretta v Novak/Stepanek. As I like all four players and I was hoping that it was a good match, and I wasn’t too disappointed. There were none of the big canon serves in this match, there were a lot of angles, retrieving and even a joke dive from Sa late in the 3rd set. It was good that the Brazilian guys won, both are very friendly guys as well.

My friend Niclas and I went briefly to the Bhupati/Mirnyi v Arazi/Mahut match and we ended up talking with Thierry Champion about Arazi’s chances and how Escude was going. He is a very nice guy and there was a very good reason that Escude lost to Ginepri, he doesn’t have the greatest conditioning at the moment. They went to Doha just to see how the hip would fare, they didn’t expect to win the tournament. Until about two months ago he was only allowed to hit for 20 minutes at a time, after the matches in Doha he ran out fuel. He went to prepare for Davis Cup and then he is going to improve his physical conditioning.

We spoke about what we thought of Robby “ I have muscles, but no game” Ginepri and he pretty much agreed with everything I said about him, and I said hopefully Seb doesn’t lose to this guy. He said as long as he is feeling fairly good he won’t lose to Ginepri. Thankfully he was proven correct.

Arazi has a big chance against the Poo we thought, as long as he returns well. He beat him at the Australian Open once before on the same court in 98, he should be able to do it again and ruin Australia Day. Unfortunately I won’t be able to see that match live, as I will be at another one at the same time.

Went over to the Vodafone area for Safin v Blake. I don’t like the Vodafone area much at all, it’s called a multi-purpose venue but it’s really a velodrome, that they basketball on as well. The match was of a very good standard and Safin had to do well to win it in 4 sets. I mean if I was Roddick I would be worried, hopefully he goes in overconfident and gets creamed.There were some very well structured points from Safin and Blake, Safin creating plenty of angles and Blake hitting big forehands.

The first two sets Safin had in control, though it was close it didn’t look like he would lose. Then in the 3rd Blakie gets a break and serves for the set at 5-4 and immediately gets broken back then went to a tiebreaker, which Blakie just played that bit better. Safin is still composed where it was possible that he could burst over with rage after losing that set.The fourth set started out with more of the same and Blakie serving at 3-4 had saved 4 breakpoints from either good play, or Safin missed running forehands.

Then on the 5th break point there was a spectacular rally, then Safin rips an angle forehand, Blake gets it back and Safin hits a great drop shots and as his forward momentum too the net increases, Safin hits a lob volley winner for the break and Blake claps the point and admires the play. Safin held his serve easily and won the match.Things to notice Safin was still moving well during the whole match and he kept composed. Safin hit more winners, less unforced errors and made more net approaches than Blake, all in all a good performance look out Rawdick.

No comments: